PHILADELPHIA – April 7, 2010 –The American Revolution Center (ARC) named three new members to its Board of Directors: John B. Adams Jr., Stephen H. Case, and Ambassador Louise V. Oliver. “These new Board members will further our mission to engage a broad public in the understanding of the American Revolution and its ongoing legacy,” said H.F. “Gerry” Lenfest, Chairman of the Board of Directors of The American Revolution Center.
PHILADELPHIA – July 1, 2010 – On July 4, 1776, the Second Continental Congress voted to adopt the Declaration of Independence. Many people learned of the historic vote by reading their newspaper, the Pennsylvania Evening Post. A copy of this newspaper survived the centuries and is now a part of The American Revolution Center’s (ARC) collection.
PHILADELPHIA – September 13, 2010 – The American Revolution Center (Center) has secured a site at 3rd and Chestnut Streets in historic Philadelphia to build the nation’s first museum dedicated to telling the entire story of The American Revolution. Located just steps from Independence Hall, the First Bank of the United States and Carpenter’s Hall, where the First Continental Congress met in 1774, the museum will house the Center’s distinguished collection of objects, artifacts and manuscripts from the American Revolution.
American Revolution Center and The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Present Lecture on Benjamin Rush
PHILADELPHIA – November 30, 2010 – On Tuesday, November 30, The American Revolution Center and The College of Physicians of Philadelphia are co-sponsoring a lecture to be held at The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, exploring the life of Benjamin Rush. Dr. William Durden, Ph.D., President of Dickinson College, will be the guest speaker. The lecture is supported by a grant from the Richard Lounsbery Foundation.
Rare Objects from the American Revolution Center Collection on Display Through Loans to the Historic Mount Vernon and the National Constitution Center
PHILADELPHIA – May 19, 2011 – The American Revolution Center has loaned over thirty firearms, edged weapons and other military equipment from the Revolutionary War to George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate & Gardens for a three-year exhibit titled Tools of War. The exhibit opened May 2, 2011 in the Gordon V. and Helen C. Smith Foundation Gallery at Mount Vernon’s Donald W. Reynolds Education Center.
PHILADELPHIA – June 30, 2011 – On June 29, the Senate unanimously passed a resolution sponsored by Senator Bob Casey recognizing The American Revolution Center’s role in telling the story of the American Revolution and its continuing impact on the struggle for freedom, self-government and the rule of law throughout the world; and encouraging the Center in its efforts to build a new Museum of the American Revolution.
PHILADELPHIA – October 12, 2011 – The American Revolution Center (the “Center”) has retooled its website (www.AmericanRevolutionCenter.org), with new, interactive features. Visitors to the site now have the opportunity to take the Center’s national survey, The American Revolution: Who Cares? and compare their answers filtered by state, political affiliation, gender and income. The 2009 survey demonstrated the overwhelming interest adult Americans have in learning more about the American Revolution.